At the beginning of the second semester I could barely use Maya and this module was very useful for me to practise working in 3D. The lectures were very informative, giving me a basic knowledge that I could use while working on the projects, not just for this module. All the new tricks and shortcuts I learnt helped a lot to more or less figure out how Maya works.
During our first assignment for Imaging and Data Visualisation, the Floating City project I had a few setbacks I had to face but beside that I really enjoyed it and I learnt a lot. For our chosen city, Salem, Massachusetts, I had to do a lot of research on the history and culture to get the atmosphere right, but it was all worth it, because thanks to Maggie, our final piece looked really good.
For the second project, the head model, it was refreshing to work on my own. I had mostly negative experience in teamwork this semester, so I was glad when it turned out we didn’t need to work with others. After I had some time to do some research on retopologizing, and to figure out how Mudbox worked it still took a great amount of time to finish it right. I didn’t mind it, I learnt a lot about Maya and the anatomy of the face as well.
All in all I managed to get a better understanding on Maya during the lectures and while working on my own as well. I feel like this was a useful semester and Imaging and Data Visualization gave me a big push towards a better ability to work in 3D.
After starting all over with the head model mostly knowing what I was supposed to do, I am satisfied with the outcome. It was hard work to keep an eye on not making any meshmistakes and creating a proper edgeflow.
I still have to practise a lot, but for my first try I think it turned out alright.
This project made me realize how important it is to know the anatomy properly whenever I sculpt something in 3D. This basic knowledge is necessary to create polygons that can be easily animated later on to create a realistic and natural movement. It was really useful to get a hang of working with Mudbox as well.
Before starting the retopology, I’ve made a bit of a research. I found a good tutorial on the 3DArtist website by Steve Holmes on the subject (in references). I also had a look at a few videos on the plurarsight website. I’ve seen everywhere that it is important to pay attention to how the muscles work on the face.
With my first try on retopologizing the done head model I made a few mistakes. First, I started out with too small polygons which made my work much harder. After a while because I made a lot of mistakes in the edgeflow as well I decided to start over.
This is my messed up mesh. I felt like I was starting to get the hang of it now, so I hope the second one will be better.
After the Floating City for Imaging and Data Visualisation our next project was to model one of our classmates head. I paired up with Caitlin for this one as well, and after she sent me some pictures of herself I could start to model in Mudbox. The software was still new to me, but after finishing with the head I feel like I move around more comfortably in it.
Without hair it doesn’t really look like her, but I’m pretty proud of it anyway. All is left is to retopologize it in Maya.
While I was working on the statistics, Maggie put together the final scene.
Our lightsource became the book to get the spooky feeling, and Maggie also had the idea to put a few of the statistics into the book. All in all I’m really satisfied with the outcome, and I feel like I have learnt a lot in Maya.
While modeling the stickworks I didn’t really know how to add the texture, so Alec helped me out. He showed me a post on the website of Solid Angle that was really useful. After that I also done a bit of research on it to have a better understanding.